A great break, fair prices and some surprising extras.
Courtside cottage is an exceptional holiday let in the heart of Fife near Edinburgh and St Andrews. The conversion is intelligently designed and built to a high specification in what was the village’s carpenters workshop. It was built sometime in the early 1700’s.
This five star self-catering cottage features good Wi-Fi, Netflix, a large, sunny lounge, kitchen/diner with its own secluded patio and garden. An en-suite bedroom, a further bedroom and family wet room provides a comfortable and safe environment for all ages and also caters for less mobile guests.
We offer flexible short and longer breaks as well as a light bed and breakfast option.The historic village enjoys striking architecture and is famous for the Renaissance Falkland Palace that lies at its heart. There is plenty to do on the doorstep and further afield.
Falkland is in the middle of glorious countryside. Edinburgh, St Andrews and Dunkeld (gateway to the Scottish Highlands) are a forty minute drive. This retreat is an ideal base for those who also want easy access to lochs, rivers and hills or enjoy the pick of golf courses in and around The Home of Golf. Falkland Estate is close by.
You can book through this site directly or contact us on email@example.com or call +44 (0) 1337 857254. The cottage is pet-free.
The cottage has an interesting history. There is evidence that it was a carpentry workshop dating back to at least the mid 1700’s. It was owned by a Miller family and the workshop business continued to the 1950’s through subsequent generations. The grassed area to the West of the cottage is referred to in legal (sasine) records as “Mrs McCarcie’s little parcel of land”.
What is now known as Whinstone house (built 1752) immediately opposite was constructed and then owned by the same family until a few years ago. By how many years the workshop pre-dates Whinstone is not known. In records dating to 1780 it was known as the “Big House” as it had two stories and towered over the neighboring weavers cottages half its height. The adjacent Courtside main house was re-modeled from what may have been a weaver’s style cottage (and raised) in 1910 by the same family.
Two of the rooms feature nicely executed pitch pine paneling that was likely crafted in the workshop by a Miller joiner using skills the family had developed over the previous 150 or more years. The pine was likely to have come from one of the Baltic countries and has hardwood properties. The Miller business declined for want of heirs and possibly also due to the centralisation of trades employed by the local cloth and weaving factories that operated in the village until the latter half of the twentieth century.
One deserted factory dating to the mid 1800’s remains and is hidden at the back of the village. Two other weaving or floor cloth factories were located to the Eastern edge of the village at Liquorstane and the Newton road. In the 60’s they were flattened for housing. Click on the More Photo’s tab.