The cottage dates to the 1750’s when it was the workplace of the village carpentry shop. A Miller family lived opposite in what is now Whinstone House and managed the business until (we think) the early 1900’s.
This was photo probably taken at the turn of the twentieth century. Note the horse cart in bits and the rough saw cut lengths of wood. Both the cottage and the main house have gained a floor since then.
More photo’s of Falkland from the days of early photography are here – www.historicfalkland.com